What We Believe
1. Everyone is a sinner.
“For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23
• Sin - Harmatano = miss the mark
• The issue - we all have a broken relationship with God. The result, the penalty of sin is death - separation from God.
• James 2:10 “For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.
“For the wages of sin is death...” Romans 6:23a
2. The result, the penalty of sin is death - separation from God. “For the wages of sin is death...” Romans 6:23a
• Death = a spiritual separation - forever. 2 Thessalonians 1:8,9. 8 “He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might “
• God doesn’t hate the sinner - but He hates the sin. “The sin God hates and the humanity He loves - are so intertwined that to destroy one is to destroy the other - yet to spare humanity would mean the epidemic of sin would consume the world.” Andy Stanley
3. Heaven is a perfect place. No sin can enter heaven. “But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life. Revelation 21:27
4. Nothing you can do, no good works, could ever help you reach perfection, that God requires for you to enter heaven. “For it is by grace you have been saved through faith and not of yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8,9
Galatians 2:16 - a man is not justified by the works of the law - by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
5. Christ made a complete payment for your sin on the cross and He offers you His righteousness. “For He (God), made Him (Jesus) who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” 2 Corinthians 5:21
6. All a person must do to have their sins forgiven, to be made right with God, is to believe Jesus died on the cross to pay for their sin and rose again. That His blood was shed paying for their sin and if they believe Jesus died for them, by faith alone, they can be certain of eternal life. “For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on Me hath everlasting life.” John 6:47
John 1:12 All who received Him - to those who believed - in His name - He gave the right - to become children of God.
2 Corinthians 5:21 God made Him who had no sin - to be sin for us - so that in Him - we might become the righteousness of God
7. You can never lose your salvation. When a person believes Christ died on the cross for them - they are born into God’s family - they become the sons and daughters of God, the Spirit of God comes and lives in them. That is permanent. ‘And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.”- John 10:28
“These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life...” - 1 John 5:12a
8. Once you’ve trusted Christ as your personal Savior, you need to begin a growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ. He wants you to follow Him.
Romans 12:1-2 1Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
What does CBC believe about the Scripture? We believe the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God and that men were moved by the Spirit to write words of Scripture. Therefore, the Bible is without error. 1 Timothy 3:16
What does CBC believe about God? We believe in one God who exists in three distinct persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). We believe that Jesus Christ is the second member of the Trinity (the Son of God) who became flesh to reveal God to man and to become the Savior of the lost world. Matthew 28:19 2 Corinthians 13:14
What does CBC believe about mankind? We believe that man was created in the image of God to have fellowship with Him, but became alienated from that relationship through sinful disobedience. As a result, man is totally incapable of coming back into a right relationship with God by his own effort. Romans 3:11
What does CBC believe about salvation? We believe that the shed blood of Jesus Christ on the cross provides the sole basis for the forgiveness of sins. Therefore, salvation only occurs when a person places his faith in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection as the sufficient payment for his sin. When anyone sees that they are separated from God because of their sin, but they trust, they believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross to pay for their sin, at that moment they become God’s child. John 3:16
What does CBC believe about the Christian life? We believe that every Christian should live for Christ and not for himself. By obedience to the Word and daily yielding to the Spirit, every believer will mature and become conformed to the image of Christ. Romans 12:1,2
What does CBC believe about the church? We believe that the church is the body of Christ of which Jesus Christ is the Head. The members are those who have trusted by faith the finished work of Christ. The purpose of the church is to glorify God by loving Him and by making Him known to a lost world. 1 Corinthians 1:2
What does CBC believe about once saved always saved? We believe that when a person puts their faith in Christ as their Savior, they become God’s child at that moment and nothing can cause them to lose their salvation. 1 John 5:13
What does CBC believe about Hell? We believe Hell is a literal place. Anyone who does not put their faith in Christ will suffer in Hell for eternity. 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 Revelation 20:10-15
What does CBC believe about Satan? We believe Satan is real, a fallen angel who along with his demons want to keep people from coming to Christ and will do whatever he can to destroy people’s lives. He and his demons will someday be judged, and will be punished in Hell forever. Matthew 25:41
What does CBC believe about Communion? We believe that Jesus wants believers to remember and celebrate, His death, burial and resurrection by observing communion. Matthew 28:19
What does CBC believe about the Holy Spirit? We believe that the Spirit comes in a person when they trust Christ as their Savior, and will never leave them. He continually works in a believers life. We believe the “sign gifts”, tongues, healing, prophecy, were given for the disciples to confirm that what they were teaching was from God. Now that we have the completed New Testament those gifts are not needed to confirm God’s truth. 1 Corinthians 13:8-10,14:22, Ephesians 4:11
What does CBC believe about good works? We believe that anything or anyone that adds good works to the salvation message is false. (Galatians 1:6-9). Adding good works, or trying to promise God that we will do something, isn’t what makes a person right with God, it is only our faith in Christ that saves. We do not create stronger believers and dedicated disciples by adding anything to the gospel. The grace that saves is the grace that motivates a believer to live the Christian life.